Friday, April 22, 2016

FAQ

FAQ
Julianne Shenk
JBS Nonprofit Consulting
April 22, 2016

April, as you can imagine, is a busy month…and totally got away from me in the “you need to write your monthly blog” department.  One of the things that made me so busy was answering questions.  Then it hit me: You got your blog topic!  I compiled a list of the most asked questions that I received this year.

And…don’t think I only answer questions in April! Ask me year round!

Q: I wrote a check to Charity XYZ on the 1st of January this year. It was intended for December 2015, but I just got too busy and sent it late. Can I claim it on 2015 taxes?
A: No. Your check was dated 1 January 2016, it can be claimed on your 2016 taxes. Intent does not trump legalities and tax code.

Q: How do I choose which nonprofit to support/donate to?
A: Evaluate what interests you. Are you looking to support a specific cause or condition/disease in need of funding? Narrow down what is important to you. You are giving your hard earned money to a group that you should feel a connection to.

Q: How do I know if a charity is legitimate?
A: Research. Research. Research. I can do this for you. It is what I get paid to do. But, you can do it too. Visit the website. Poke around, follow the links, and ask questions. Also, any reputable nonprofit exercises transparency and can provide you with their financial data. Yes, some organizations make it a little difficult to get this information, but again, I can help you with that. It should be researchable to everyone, but if it is not, contact them and ask. If they are less than forthcoming with your request, I think it best to move on to another organization.

Q: I am not in a position financially to donate money at this time, is volunteering considered donating? Does my time count?
A: Yes. If you read some of my other posts, many espouse my belief that volunteering is the backbone, the heart and soul, the lifeblood, of a nonprofit organization.  Giving of your time is as important, if not MORE, important, than giving money. If your desire is to help a cause, but you are not in the financial situation to do so, please consider donating your time. Be hands on, it is one of the most rewarding acts you can perform. It will also allow you to become involved and educated in a cause that is important to you.

Q: How do I know where my money is going?
A: You can indicate intent for your donation to be spent in a particular way. This is called a “restricted gift”. To donate in this manner, establish (in partnership with the organization) where you would like to direct the funds to guarantee that it is possible for the funds to be directed in the manner you wish. In grad school I had a case study regarding restricted gifts. A family designated a large donation be given to a local animal shelter, but restricted the breed of animal that the funds could be used to help. The patriarch of the family had an affinity for a particular breed of dog. They were insistent that funds only be used to save, place, and maintain this specific breed. The shelter’s hands were tied, as the breed mentioned in the restricted gift letter was rare and literally never seen at the shelter. The gift sat for years before a family member finally relented and changed the restrictions to cover all breeds. Be sure that your gift, if restricted, is not so restricting as to prohibit use.
The most useful donation is an “unrestricted donation”. This allows the agency to allocate the funds to the area in most need.  Do not hesitate to reach out to the nonprofit before making a donation to ask how you can direct your donation to make the most impact. They are more than happy to advise you.

Q: I want a tax number; can I get one by forming a nonprofit?
A:  No. This is my single biggest pet peeve regarding the nonprofit industry. I often find (75% of my personal experience, that is a high number!) folks are looking to get a tax number to avoid paying sales tax. A nonprofit is formed to serve a need in the community that receives a tax relief to better aid them to help/promote/execute/support their cause. If your coffee group wants to purchase coats to handout to the homeless/underprivileged in the winter, you cannot get a tax number to save on sales tax. If you are a registered 501 (c) (3) that is purchasing coats to hand out, you can apply for a tax number (one time filing and free).  You cannot get a tax number to buy goods to donate to a food pantry. The food pantry can get a tax number to purchase staples to supply its coffers. If you are legal and registered AND approved by the IRS as a recognized 501 (c) (3), you are required to get a tax number. That is the only way.

Q: What is the difference between a nonprofit organization and a not-for-profit organization?
A: There is no legal distinction. The terms are used interchangeably.

Q: I recently learned that a charity that I contributed to in years past has shuttered. Do the people on the board get to keep the monies collected?
A: No. Most nonprofits “go out of business” when their funding dries up. If there happen to be funds left, the IRS has very specific rules as to where the assets/funds go:
           
Assets of an organization must be permanently DEDICATED to an exempt purpose. This means that should an organization dissolve, its assets must be DISTRIBUTED for an exempt purpose described in this chapter, or to the federal government or to a state or local government for a public purpose. If the assets could be distributed to members or private individuals or for any other purpose, the organizational test [for exempt status] is not met.[1]
The assets must go to another nonprofit organization or exempt organization type.

Q: Who should I contact if I have concerns about the integrity or practices of a particular nonprofit organization?
A: At the state level, contact your state’s charity/nonprofit office. This is typically a branch of the Office of the Attorney General or the Secretary of State. (You can find your local contact via http://www.nasconet.org).  At the federal level, contact the IRS (http://www.irs.gov).

Those are the most asked questions I get. If you have any other questions or need some elaboration on a particular question from above, just ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment