Sunday, May 5, 2019

You asked for it! Another Q & A!


Q & A
5 May 2019
Julianne Shenk
JBS Nonprofit Consulting

Happy “Almost Summer”! It is time for a new Q & A.
Some of these you may have seen me answer before, but if it is a question that I get asked repeatedly, I figured it was worth answering again. I will link my previous Q & A/FAQ blog post at the end.  And, as always, if you have a question that you haven’t found an answer for in my posts, please shoot me an email from twitter, Facebook, the blog or my website. I will link all below as well.

It is almost summer, do schools/teachers/students still need my help?
Yes. Many communities hold school supply drives in the summer months as well as closer to the start of school. If you are having trouble finding an organization, call your local schools, community centers, or churches. Many collect supplies during the summer. If not, stockpile a little donation stash for when collection time does roll around.

I hear about people making donations to schools to cover the school lunch balances for children that are in the red. Can I write a check for that?
Every school district has different rules regarding paying off the balances of children “in the red” in their school lunch account. It is best to contact the administration of the particular school district that you are interested in helping. You may be able to start with a call to the school’s office, but they may refer you to the actual district office.

Several years ago my tax preparer denied my deduction for a Go Fund Me campaign that I made a sizable donation to, I understood it to be a charitable donation and I am still a little mad about it. Should I have insisted she leave the deduction on my form?
While I am sure your donation was appreciated, your tax preparer is correct. Go Fund Me campaign donations are not tax deductible. If you are looking for a donation for tax deduction purposes, I suggest that you find an IRS certified 501 (c) (3) organization that represents or aids clientele like the family/individual you are looking to help. Blog post: https://jbsnonprofitconsulting.blogspot.com/2015/07/gofundme-tax-deductible.html


Is it true that the new tax law has raised the ‘amount of donations before deduction’ to over $20,000?
The 2018 standard deduction was nearly doubled, to $12,000 for single filers and $24,000 for those married and filing jointly.[1]

What is the best method to learn about a charity that I am interested in? Can I call them?
The first thing I do is a simple Google® search. You should be able to find the organization’s website. Explore the ABOUT section, read any testimonials, try the links, look for newsletters, calendars and press releases. Spend some time exploring the entire site. Use the CONTACT button to send an email or look for a phone number to call and schedule a visit. Nonprofits, the successful ones, thrive on transparency; they want you to see where the money is going and who it is helping. If you do not get the answers you need or like the answers you get, keep researching similar organizations. It is your money or volunteer time, and it is worth something. Research and find the right fit for you.

I have read a lot of your posts, but you talk a lot about volunteering being important. Isn’t money what charities really want?
Charities need money as well as volunteers to thrive. Anyone (with the means) can donate money to an organization. Anyone, means or not, can volunteer their time. Most organizations need volunteers to help the clients that the charity serves as well needing them to spread the message of the organization, organize distributions, help fundraise…the list goes on and on. It takes a special person to give of their time to help others, and I encourage everyone to volunteer. 

Is it rude to simply ask an organization if they are an approved nonprofit organization?
No. It is not rude at all. First look on their website. Most organizations state somewhere (usually in the “About” section) that they are a 501 (c) (3) organization. If you cannot find that information on the website call the organization directly. They will be able to provide you with the information.

I was asked to consider taking a board position with a local charity organization, but they said that I will be asked to make a sizable donation every year as part of my position. Is this legal? Is this ethical?
Actually, many large and/or established nonprofit organizations require/encourage board members to make a yearly/quarterly donation to the organization. Many include it in the contract that they require board members to sign. Supporting the organization as a board member as well as a stake holder is a strong commitment to the cause. If you are not comfortable with the donation, discuss your concerns with the board.

If you have any questions not covered here, or in the link of my previous  FAQs/Q&A (https://jbsnonprofitconsulting.blogspot.com/2016/04/faq.html)  send me a message via one of my links below.

Blog: https://jbsnonprofitconsulting.blogspot.com/  (leave a message on this post May 2019)
Website: https://jbsnonprofitconsulting.blogspot.com/  Click   BLOG COMMENTS






[1] https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/info-2018/tax-law-charitable-donations.html


No comments:

Post a Comment